What I would do to be back at the Pendry; lush hotel beds just suit me! As I continue to do more Travel Guides I'm also going to start sharing hotel diaries from my fave spots at every destination. During our recent San Diego trip we stayed at the newly opened Pendry Hotel. It is by far one of my favorite hotels I've EVER stayed in. The hotel is from the Montage lineage which means you know it's fancy AF in all the best ways. I would describe it as a more accessible Montage... definitely a younger, hipper vibe. It's everything us 30 somethings want in a hotel: modern furnishings, excellent service, multiple restaurants and bars, insane rooftop pool, and a spa. With all the offerings, you could probably stay in the hotel all weekend and never leave if that's your vibe BUT if you want to explore, the hotel is centrally located in Gaslamp close to so many activities - see my SD travel guide for places to eat, drink, and play!
Upon checking-in we were greeted with a welcome juice and told that if we took it to the bar and said a special pass code the bartender would add a complimentary shot of alcohol. My first thought was "they get me!" The rooms are pretty spacious and the design is very unique with a glass shower that opens up to the room; don't worry there's a perfectly situated curtain that closes in case you want to have private shower time.
After settling into our gorgeous room we enjoyed a glass of wine at the downstairs bar called Fifth + Rose and then ventured out to explore the East Village and Gaslamp areas. One of my favorite things about the hotel is this feeling of coziness (very CHIC coziness) like being at home when you walk out of your room and go to the kitchen to grab a coffee in the morning or wine in the evening. That's kind of how it felt at Pendry - just pop downstairs for a coffee or to grab a cocktail. Other faves....
Ashley's favorite things:
- The rooftop pool is everything I need in an outdoor pool situation: cabanas, super hip pool bar, amazing cocktails, and a jacuzzi.
- Wine glasses in the bedroom: upon searching for wine glasses I found them beautifully nestled in a velvet drawer... again, they just get me.
- The vibe! Hard to explain a vibe but when you walk into the restaurant-marketplace and they carry some of my favorite brands like Janessa Leone and Miansai, it just feels like the place was meant for you.
Andy's favorite things:
- The design was solid and manly but also well appointed.
- Location: you could see inside Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres, from our room window
- The Pool house menu had all my favorite things: sandwiches, tacos, quesadillas, all. the. things.
- The bedding was super lush and comfortable as well as the robes.
I too loved the robes because they were NORMAL sized. Have you ever notice most hotel robes are ginormous? The struggles of a petite girl!
I imagine the pool will be a HOT spot this summer and if you find yourself poolside definitely get a watermelon marg! I put down a few of these on our last day there. Ohhhh another tip: stop by the Wine Bank around the corner and grab a bottle to bring back to your room. The in-room wine glasses are no joke! Hah - I promise we did more than drink the entire weekend ... SEE!
All in all we had the most amazing time at the hotel and were so lucky that they invited us to stay for the weekend! In my multiple trips and hotel stays in SD over the past 10 years, I would hands down say the Pendry is the way to go if you want something in the heart of the action with a luxury feel that isn't stuffy.
Headed to Mexico, Palm Springs, Miami, and more in the next few months! Can't wait to share all my travels with you.